I don’t know why I let myself get hung up on the things on my quilting list.  It’s all for fun, right?  I let that Halloween costume drag me to a standstill, even though it was super easy to put together.  Well, I also had to tear my quilting room apart because we had a garage sale last weekend.  I needed my card table, which I cut on, out to display items, and the loveseat, which was being sold, out in the driveway.

But since then I’ve been able to get back in the groove.  It’s so nice!

The first thing I did this week is a herringbone block for the SDMQG’s block bee.  We were linked back to Stitched in Color’s great tutorial and given a color palette.  Loved it!  The block went together very easy, and I only had to unpick one seam.   Don’t mind the backlighting in the picture – my design ‘wall’ is more of a window covering.

In the picture you can see part of the 2012 Quilt in a Day Block Party quilt – Quilts from El’s Kitchen.  A few weeks ago we got the LAST BLOCK for the quilt – now all we need is directions on the border, which we will get in class on Tuesday.  This has been a challenge for me.  I chose to do the small – 6″ – blocks, which means that I have had huge struggles with fabric scale.  The fabrics I chose were mostly Moda’s Sunkissed by Sweetwater, with a few other prints thrown in.  This morning I finished re-doing the last block!

It’s actually the Hearts and Gizzards block from February, but when I made it there was not enough contrast in the block.  I decided to wait until the very end to redo it, so that I could have the chance to balance out colors in the quilt.  So now that is DONE!  And I get to move on…

to more applique…because I realized that I never bothered sewing down the flowers on the center block.  I skipped doing this with the best of intentions – I wasn’t sure that I would be happy with the placement in the end, but I’ve decided to not overthink it.

I have four colors to applique down there – I’m most of the way done with the last flower color and only have leaves left after this.

Next up is sashing the blocks.  I’d love to stay glued to my sewing machine this weekend and get the top put toghether, but we’ll have to see what the weekend brings.  The class meets again on Tuesday, where Eleanor will give us instructions on her recommended outer borders.

Because I’ve been so distracted lately, I’m not sure if I’m going to get my SSQA quilt done for the 13th, but there are worse things.  My blue scraps are at the lowest amount they’ve been ever.  I have 30 blocks done and sashing picked out, but switched over to keeping up with the Quilt in a Day project and put them away.

Advertisements