To recap – for two years, at various quilt shows around the area, I kept looking at the Soda Pop by A Quilter’s Dream. I finally bit the bullet and bought it in January. Her sample is made of neutral batiks – a bali pop (in her case) or jelly roll. As I was staring at my stash I ended up deciding to make the quilt out of light blues and greens.
The colors remind me of vintage Coke bottles – that blue green reminds me of summers when I was a kid – sometimes my sister and I would get to split a Coke in the evenings. The original quilt was browns and tans – maybe she was inspired by the cola itself?
This is the quilt I should have cut with my GO! but didn’t. I was working with random bits of fabric from my stash and decided it would be easier to cut them out singly with my rotary cutter. WRONG! Ok, for some of the the rotary cutter would have been better, but I ended up cutting enough strips out that it would have made most of the pieces easier. The whole quilt is made out of 1.5″ squares, 2.5″ squares, and 2.5×4.5″ rectangles…I could have easily cut and subcut with dies I already own. Lesson learned.
I quilted it with straight lines – not something I usually do, but decided to do this time around.
I think this one’s destined for the guild’s quilt auction in November. (Pause for a bit of self-criticism here) I tend to like more value contrast than this quilt has. I thought I was stretching myself by working in a tighter value constraint that I usually do. I added some darker fabrics – both in blues and greens as well as some darker blue- and green-grays in order to find some depth. They’re there, and scattered around, so they’re not doing as much as I’d hoped. In addition, I’m seeing some not-quite-straight lines – little bumps in the straight lines where they intersect, even with use of my Pfaff’s IDT system. I’m hoping that when I wash it they won’t be as obvious.
On to the next quilt!!! I have a spiderweb (made of the SAME fabrics, but adding a deep blue for the stars) that I absolutely love pinned and waiting. Unfortunately, I think it’ll languish for a bit.
Darling daughter is ready to quilt her first BIG quilt ever (at 36×49, it’s much bigger than the doll quilts she’s got under her belt) and we spent some time this morning trying to figure out what kind of quilting she can do on it. Stipple needs work, stencils are a bit better, and she doesn’t want straight lines. We’ll figure it out…
While DD and I trial-and-error her quilting styles, I think I’ll work on SewCalGal’s QOV charity challenge – ship date’s coming up!!